don't enter anything here

How do you send a message to a stackoverflow user?

One of my SO questions had a comment by another user. A few days later a third user wanted to make a statement to this second user (the one who wrote the comment). So, he posted another answer to this effect. Since I had raised the question, I got his message. But, I don't think there is a way for this to reach the targeted commenter, unless they happen to stumble back to this question again.

So, does stackoverflow have a way for such comments/pings to be made to a user?

Do you think it would be useful to have such a facility?

The least we could have is a way for the person who wrote the question (and would get the comment) to ping the targeted person (who would not get any indication otherwise).

Yes, i can see the potential for spam and harassment here. But, are there any secondary ideas to make the requisite work w/o the problems?

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    niknik shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • niknik commented  · 

@Shog9, I checked all possible points and as i would have it too, there was no opening to send a message. I do not think this will be a regular requirement, and to that extent the benefits of not having the facility surely outweigh the reason to have it. I made it a new question because it seemed the other questions had different motives and i hoped to get a cleaner solution that does not weaken the concept behind no-messaging on SO. I cautiously used a trick suggested on my question at SO to connect the two people. Purpose archived, decline accepted. Thanks.

• RichBRichB commented  · 

If they have an email address in their profile, email them. Otherwise, no. There is no need for this, it is not a social networking site.

Oh... and dupe.

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base