don't enter anything here

Merge Tags, Rename Tags

Basically, It's the same thing, although implementation would differ if the destination name exists.

I'd like to be able to do a bulk rename on tags.
For example right now there are tags "bitmap" and "bitmaps"

IDEA:
1) Click on a tag.
2) On .../questions/tagged/#tag# page, there should be an option to rename the tag.
3) If there is a collision, then cascade update all tagged questions to the new tag.
If no collision, then just change the tag name in the database.

I'm trying my best to clean out redundant tags, but it's a very arduous task.

445 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    mightybaldkingmightybaldking shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

50 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • vartecvartec commented  · 

What would be really interesting, would be tag hierarchy. With multiple inheritance.
        for example tag "django" should be found when looking for "python" or "web-development".

• cletuscletus commented  · 

@pbysh: I've been thinking about that too. The other obvious example is C# and .Net. These aren't synonyms but 90%+ of posts tagged c# will also be tagged .net (and most of the rest probably should be). Arguably c# implies .net. It'd be nice to have synonyms (two way associations) and have "A implies B" (one way associations). Not sure how you implement it though.

• pbyshpbysh commented  · 

I am not sure if this is 100% related to this suggestion, but what about tags like jquery and javascript? I'd argue that any tag that has a "jquery" tag should also have a "javascript" tag, as some people might only have "javascript" in their favorite tags but might be able to help on jquery questions, as it is obviously also javascript. Is this encouraged?

• mufakamufaka commented  · 

Don't rename or merge tags. Maybe allow people to group them as synonyms so that 1 tag will show results for all in the synonym group.

• aafsharaafshar commented  · 

codinghorror: In that case you just roll it back.

False? No the Bill Gates thing was quite real. I tried it on my copy of Word when I read about it and it did just that.

Errr... hidden features and Easter Eggs aren't quite the same thing. Hiden features are useful things yo umight not know about something. Easter Eggs are the progammer equivalent of a well-concealed "I was 'ere" mark. Example: MS Wordl spll check of "I'd like to see Bill Gates dead" responded with "I'll drink to that". That's an Easter Egg.

• tinkertimtinkertim commented  · 

Another set that could really stand to be merged is 'hidden-features' and 'easter-egg'. I noticed a few others but can't remember them off hand.

• RichBRichB commented  · 

@unkwntech: I agree. This is a much better, non-troll example. This is the kind of example we should be using as a metric.

• unkwntechunkwntech commented  · 

There are tags like VS2008 and VS-2008 which are exactly the same but are 2 separate tags this is the kind of thing we need some level of control over.

Ok so now its clear what Grakhor's beef in this and related topic is. The plzsendmetehcodez tag, which is as tags go... idiotic. Say, you wouldn't have originated the tag and be gunning for a badge by any chance would you? Let it go.

As for this proposal: too dangerous. Only Jeff/mods could be given the power. Better to associate or alias tags as per other requests.

• gortokgortok commented  · 

@rkcr: Incidentally, what you mentioned did happen: A particular user went in and removed all of the tags that had that on there and replacing them with a new tag he had created; and I caught him doing it halfway through. the first half of the questions that had that tag were gone; and I wasn't able to find all of them; the ones I found, I re-tagged, since the tag was in use by >5 people.

• rkcrrkcr commented  · 

@gortok: In that link, there are multiple people on both sides, and besides, the first person to retag is not necessarily correct.

It occurs to me now, since there is contention over whether to use "plzsendtehcodez" or not, that people could keep mass re-tagging back and forth. There'd have to be a way to prevent a massive tag wars (which would be worse than revision wars).

• rkcrrkcr commented  · 

After all the revision wars I've seen, I definitely think that merging tags would need to be done on a voting basis from high level users. Probably should require more than 4 people to do it, too.

Also, @gortok: IMO, 'plzsendtehcodez' isn't really an appropriate tag for any situation - what is 1337 sp33k doing in tags? I doubt that all the people removing it did so simply to get a badge.

• ravenraven commented  · 

Granted this is dangerous functionality, but requiring a user consensus would keep it under control. There seems to be plenty of users willing to participate in maintaining the tag library, so I think the idea of creating some voting mechanism is a good one.

• me.yahoo.com/a/ikxu0uwdyj5gpedygwkxmbejanyrns8-me.yahoo.com/a/ikxu0uwdyj5gpedygwkxmbejanyrns8- commented  · 

Something seriously needs doing about repeated tags: I suggest we add the operation "merge existing tags". The operation would require a high rep user and involve a voting/waiting period of five days. Another high rep user could squash the merge during that time.

@finnw: If I were the only one that used that tag, I may agree with you, but I ran a count, and that tag's been used by about 20+ high reputation users. It has legs; many more than his personal favorite that only he has used.

• finnwfinnw commented  · 

@gortok, sorry but I agree with the re-tagger. His tag has the same meaning as yours, but it's more clear what it means. I agree that you should get some credit for applying a common tag to all those questions, but I wouldn't want to have to implement that function!

For instance, my favorite most descriptive tag 'plzsendtehcodez' was created for questions where the author wasn't doing 'homework' but specifically asked for a complete solution to be created for him. I counted no less than 8 other high-rep users using this tag. But one high rep user decided he didn't like it, and changed them all to 'code-request' (presumably to get taxinomist).

← Previous 1 3

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base