don't enter anything here

Make your software open source

It's a nice piece of software that I believe would be useful to others as well as improved by community contributions.

Do you plan to open source it?

318 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  codinghorrorcodinghorror responded  · 

declining this for now to free up votes. Not for 6-12 months at least, so revisit later.

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ivoflipseivoflipse commented  · 

Another point would be that other people can use the stackoverflow code to make a Q&A site on a different topic, perhaps for learning purposes in schools.

You never know with what kind of ideas people come up

• EnderMBEnderMB commented  · 

I don't think this idea will work in any shape or form, ever.

The SO team are under no obligation to provide their code. They are running a business and as far as I know this is Jeff's full-time job now. Just because a website is successful it doesn't mean that they are under any pressure to provide their code. SO is a programming community so the people there should be able to make their own.

• Dean RDean R commented  · 

I would like this to go open source because I think a lot of people who use it would contribute back into the project.
        We are all developers after all...

• abduabdu commented  · 

Just wait. Knockoffs will start popping up soon and you will be able to download an open source version. Look what happened with Digg, Wikipedia, blogs, etc.. It's the nature of competition.

• Bruno AlexandreBruno Alexandre commented  · 

It would be great just to lunch parts of the code, even in codinghorror blog, like he code for Preventing CSRF and XSRF Attacks, Text Live-preview used on answers, strip unwanted code on posts, etc...

kind'a security things so we can all learn from the bests :) and implement ourselfs in future projects, or at east to have a better idea of the solution used, ad maybe found out better ways to do it

• mbabuskovmbabuskov commented  · 

I really don't understand WHY people ask for this? Building a site like SO is really not that much work, esp. if you build it for internal use in your organization, since it wouldn't need to have all the bells and whistles. SO is successful because of the audience, number of people using it. Of course, being "done the right way" helps, but it's not like you can't build a similar thing yourself.

• levborlevbor commented  · 

Another option is making your own site similar to wikia, i.e., hosting expert sites for other professions using your software.

• ramayacramayac commented  · 

Consider Opening at least some parts. Language localization engine, or the Database (to migrate it from MS SQL to MySQL or Postgreslq).

• midhatmidhat commented  · 

making it FOSS would be definitely great, but alteast make it available. which includes selling it (open or closed source)

• davidrdavidr commented  · 

"It's not finished yet" and "It probably wont scale" are poor excuses for not open sourcing. That describes much open source software out there, obviously it didn't stop the zillions of unfinished projects on sourceforge!

• levborlevbor commented  · 

But it would also be useful to other professional communities, not only developers.

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base