don't enter anything here

User messaging or wall

Someone else already requested private messaging, and the request was declined. I'd just like to point out an use case for messaging.

Jeff, you edited one of my posts to change my asterisks to backticks, so that I was getting proper code format. I appreciated that, and wanted to say so. However, editing the post to add a "thanks Jeff" would have seemed out of place, as would adding a new answer to that effect. In both cases, my gratitude, while genuine, has no relevance to the question. Sending an email to the user seems overkill (and in general, not possible). All that leaves is some sort of site-based messaging, which is not available.

So, Jeff, thank you for fixing my post. I really hope that you'll reconsider messaging in the future, though. Either private messaging, or a "wall" for each use (in the style of Facebook) would do a lot to enhance the politeness aspect.

2 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    dparkdpark shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  codinghorrorcodinghorror responded  · 

you’re quite welcome! no thanks necessary — the shared result is its own reward! :)

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • dparkdpark commented  · 

Hey, better than no chance at all. Thanks.

• codinghorrorcodinghorror commented  · 

it's possible we might have some kind of messaging function later, so as not to expose emails but let users communicate. But it's low priority.

• dparkdpark commented  · 

Yeah, it was already declined. I expect that he'll decline this again. I wanted to point out another reason for including it, though, in the hopes that he might include it at some point in the future. (And at the time, I wasn't registered here, so I couldn't leave a comment on the other request.)

• endangeredmassaendangeredmassa commented  · 

I believe Jeff already declined this suggestion. I would like to see it implemented, but it's not absolutely necessary.

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base