don't enter anything here

Answer votes should contribute to Question votes

I have noticed during the beta, that answers seem to get more votes than the original question.

Perhaps some or all up the upvotes given to the answers should contribute to the total votes of the question.

This should help to show how useful the information is inside the original question.

18 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    GateKillerGateKiller shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • pc1oad1etterpc1oad1etter commented  · 

One potential abuse here is that people who ask more polling type questions would accrue a really nice reputation, which could encourage people to post more and more like that. Which I'm okay with that content existing, but all it takes is a controversial topic to get a really good rep.

• ricreericree commented  · 

Just automatically set the user's vote to an upmod for the question when they upmod an answer so long as they don't already have a vote for that question. This would have the advantage of being easy to code (it's just setting off an action that is already coded into the site), and it would give users the option of upmoding an answer without upmodding the question.

• jmsjms commented  · 

It just has to be weighted differently, maybe like this:

* a downmod to an answer will have no net effect on the value of the question
        * for every five upmods to answers, the question gets upmodded by 1.

• endangeredmassaendangeredmassa commented  · 

Upon further reflection, this would allow someone to downvote (or upvote) every answer in the question in order to move the question's vote up or down greatly. I don't think that I like that idea.

• endangeredmassaendangeredmassa commented  · 

I like it. People tend to vote-up the answers more than questions. The Question vote could represent the value of the overall information contained in the question and its answers.

Perhaps half of the value of the answers could be applied to the question.

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base