don't enter anything here

Add a Public API

If you look at all the wildly successful websites floating around you'll notice they all have APIs. This is because it allows other people to make mashups, to remix and make your services even better. Of course I'm not expecting one before the public beta ends, but please add it down the line.

5 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    num1num1 shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Laran EvansLaran Evans commented  · 

I'd like to see an API as well. There's so much good information on this site. It would be nice to leverage/mash it.

• kim3erkim3er commented  · 

I don't understand why "It just doesn't make sense". I'd particularly like to see an iPhone app come out of a Stack Overflow API.

• brian o'neilbrian o'neil commented  · 

I can think of many uses for an API to access the user data on the site... twitter bridge about user's actions like asking or answering questions, publishing reputation on Blog or other personal site. If the API allowed writing you could do things like desktop and mobile clients. Really it is a long list...

• robboblobrobboblob commented  · 

I think you're wrong endangeredmassa, there are totally uses for an api, what about a feed of your questions or posting from the desktop?

• endangeredmassaendangeredmassa commented  · 

Those services are things that CAN be mashed or otherwise used. This website could not provide that type of data. It just doesn't make sense.

• BobbyShaftoeBobbyShaftoe commented  · 

Yeah, I agree with this. But I think this should come after the site is totally stable and so forth.

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base