don't enter anything here

Messaging between users

Private messaging between users would be pretty cool...

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • anshulanshul commented  · 

it'ld be great!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

I totally Agree with this
        it gives users the ability to get to know each other ..

• arul prakasharul prakash commented  · 

It will be very useful...I vote for this

• domurtagdomurtag commented  · 

I'd really like to see this too. For example if some guy was consistently giving great answers to questions about a niche technology, it would be great if there were some way to get in touch to (for example) offer them a job or say thanks or whatever.

I'd vote for this, but it's already been declined. It would be nice if there was some information about *why* it's been declined.

• mgb_feedbackmgb_feedback commented  · 

It would also be useful to avoid flamewars in answers. Somebody downvotes my answer or leaves a comment claiming it is wrong due to a misunderstanding - it would be better to be able to PM them and explain than add another answer starting a flamewar.

• drewgdrewg commented  · 

As Jeff has said in the podcasts, it's not that declined stuff will never be implemented at stackoverflow, it's just a way of clearing out the less immediate priorities - things like this will be revisited later on.

• stevostevo commented  · 

why do proposals of user-user messaging keep getting declined? I think it's a must...

• drewgdrewg commented  · 

I think this would be really useful, given the philosophy of the site being focussed Q&A. Messaging would allow two developers to continue a discussion out of the thread band and keep the thread focussed to the Q&A, with the out of band discussion possibly leading to substrate for updating the final answers in the thread.

Cheers :)

• endangeredmassaendangeredmassa commented  · 

I wanted to send a message to a user. This message does not belong in any question-thread. So, I went to the user's profile and was sad to see that I couldn't message them.

• secretGeeksecretGeek commented  · 

i was thinking of this same idea. say if i see a typo on jon galloway's bio -- ("bald but awesome") i want to be able to message him directly and say, "well jon, you're half right".

this kind of thing is what keeps the kids coming back for more.

don't need to provide 'public messaging' but private/direct messaging might be nice.

• mstummstum commented  · 

sounds cool, especially because Stackoverflow will live from it's community, it should have community features

• kevindkevind commented  · 

It would be even better if it was twitter-ish

As in, you could have public conversations on your profile page?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base