don't enter anything here

Make user's answers anonymous after certain rep level

It seems to me that some of the answers posted by the highest ranked members get an unusually high number of up votes, regardless of how good their answer is. People seem to gravitate towards the famous for no good reason. Think about Paris Hilton. A worthless, talentless woman who is worshiped like a god simply because so many people are aware of her existence. I think some people simply vote up answers by the top users because they recognize the name and think, "that must be the right answer if it's posted by that guy".

How about making answers posted by users with more than N rep anonymous? What value to assign to N is up for debate. Those users still accrue rep, but only on the merits of the quality of their answers and not their "fame factor".

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ravenraven shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  codinghorrorcodinghorror responded  · 

I do not think this is an actual problem. People with high rep tend to provide a lot of good answers, and they get voted up consistently because of the quality of their answers. Reopen with specific example URLs where this is an actual problem.

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

I can see it... but I'm not sure there's much you can do about it other than make everyone anonymous.

Now what I've experienced was at certain point (approaching 1000 and 2000) it was hard to get up votes, and then immidately after passing the thresholds, I got lots of bumps up.

Perhaps if we were only shown the rank (VoteDown, Retag, WikiEditor, etc.) there would be less bias in the votes.

• cletuscletus commented  · 

I honestly don't see this as a problem. I have a reasonably high rep but still get downvoted on answers and have other answers from lower rep users voted higher than mine. I'd like to see some examples of where you think this has actually caused a problem of some kind.

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base