don't enter anything here

If we can't delete questions, allow us to disown them.

I know this has been previously suggested however I want to give it another shot.

If I don't want something on my page of questions, I should be able to remove it. If you allowed us to "Disown" a post it would convert it to community wiki and you would no longer OWN the post. It won't show up in your profile.

I'm often wanting to get rid of some questions I've asked before and I'd be perfectly happy letting Community Wiki own them. Own them as in, not in my profile any longer.

I don't care if the Revision history is still there, I just want them no longer associated with me on my profile.

53 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    simucalsimucal shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  codinghorrorcodinghorror responded  · 

grouping this under account deletion for now; you can always convert your Q to community wiki any time you want.

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • sadfafsdsadfasdsadfafsdsadfasd commented  · 

Hmm I suppose this is needed. You might accidentally post your credit card number etc.

• brannbrann commented  · 

btw, There's a law which states (approximately) that one should have control over material directly related to its name in a database, so I think maybe the current version of SO would be against the law in France (I don't lnow if this law concerns websites that are hosted in France vs websites that are accessible from france). more info here : http://www.cnil.fr/index.php?id=1683

• simucalsimucal commented  · 

Screenshot: http://i41.tinypic.com/2mo2hko.jpg

Transfer ownership to our Community bot, or a designated "fake" user. Viola, my name and this question are no longer associated with each other and the information is still on the site for everyone to enjoy.

I lose any rep associated with the question.

• ravenraven commented  · 

I know a lot of people might say, "don't post anything you might regret", but we're human. It happens. Since you won't let us delete them, you should at least let us disassociate ourselves from them.

• JaredJared commented  · 

@RichB: Because your questions/answers can be continually edited by the community, there's no guarantee that the currently-displayed version meets with your approval, or that you want your name associated with it.

• jarrod.m.dixonjarrod.m.dixon commented  · 

@Shog9 I liked your questions, especially the javascript "with" one ( http://is.gd/jnwS )! I laughed until I almost cried at the highest voted answer on it! +2 to your questions!

Oh, and we'll discuss this question on our call tonight.

This makes the person happy who wants to get rid of the question, while at the same time keeping the question on the site for everyone else.

@jcoehoorn, In no way did I suggest we allow hard deleting.

I'm saying that we should have tighter control on the content that is represented on our profile. There is no logical reason why we SHOULDN'T let users disown a quesiton and give it up entirely to the community if they no longer want it.

@jcoehoorn, I'm not suggesting to allow deleting. I'm suggesting to offer a necessary feature of disassociate a question with SO persona.

This doesn't take away the question from anyone, it simply transfers ownership FROM you to a community user. If I want to get rid of my questions I should be able to orphan them to the community and no longer have them on my profile.

• jcoehoornjcoehoorn commented  · 

As for using the site here, you don't actually _own_ the content you post. You have a license to use it, and you are credited with authorship. I think you'll find most other web sites work the same way. If the content has value to the community, it would be silly to allow you to delete it just because you got angry over something.

Even if a question isn't fully answered, it will still help others by showing what was previously tried and failed.

If a question is embarrasing, that's an integrity issue. I have a few answers out there that I'd like to take back, but my response is usually that I'll leave it up because the resulting discussion could still be valuable to others.

@simulcal: I, too, just don't see the point. The desire to delete something makes a false assumption that you are the only person to benefit from it. The whole point of the site is so that in having your question answered, someone else with the same or a similar problem might be able find an answer more quickly in the future. ... to be continued...

Odd: I haven't seen much "revenge" voting. I mean, there is the occasional downvote to an old question, but an at least equal number of old, out-of-the-blue upvotes. I don't close as many questions, but now and then I will add support for closing.

• Shog9Shog9 commented  · 

@gortok: i won't lose rep, but i'm a bit worried they'll still catch the votes. We'll see, i guess...

• gortokgortok commented  · 

@Shog9: If you convert your old questions to community wiki, you'll no longer get downvotes.

I do hate when people look for my old posts and down vote them after months; it is somewhat irritating, especially when the voter admits it was tangential to me editing/nominating his post for closing.

This way, lets say someone wishes to leave the site and remove his name associated with all the content on the site.

He simply disowns all the posts he owns, and if anyone were to stumble on his userpage he is not associated with those questions (other than revision history).

I think this is almost a necessary compromise if we aren't going to allow users to delete their own content.

Be cause there are some questions I wish to delete but I can't, so a simple compromise is to remove them from my profile.

I should be able to clear questions from my user page, and this would be trivial to implement. Pass the ownership from me to a Community type user and viola.

• Shog9Shog9 commented  · 

I was kinda wishing for something like this earlier today... I only have two questions on the site, both long ago answered and now collecting dust except when someone gets irritated with me and downvotes both of them. They're not great questions by any means, but still, i feel bad using them as lightening rods on my profile page.

• endangeredmassaendangeredmassa commented  · 

I don't see the point. Do you simple feel that your profile is too cluttered with all of the questions you've asked?

• RichBRichB commented  · 

Why on earth would you not want to 'own your question' anymore?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base